Reply to this topicStart new topic
How Would You Invest $5000?
Legion Kreinak
post Feb 20 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #1

New MoneyMaker

Group: Member
Member No.: 57,513

I have $5,000 to invest. It's not much. I've been told to avoid individual stocks with this sort of money.

What should I do with it? Invest it into a CD? Just let it sit in a high-yield savings? Money market account? Mutual fund?

The savings account it's in right now nets me a whopping .9% interest, so I need out of that now. Anything else would be good, but I'd like to know what my best bet would be.

I've seen a CD at Discover Bank for 6-months and 5.25% APY. They also have a MMA for 5.15%.

This stuff is all new to me still. I don't even know if MMAs and mutual funds are the same thing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paid Advertisement

clauuss
post Feb 20 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #2

MMG Member

Member No.: 55,567

Why dont you invest this money in real estate smile.gif

If you are interested give me a PM

Clauuss

+Quote Post
Legion Kreinak
post Feb 20 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #3

New MoneyMaker

QUOTE(clauuss @ Feb 20 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]3721853[/snapback]

Why dont you invest this money in real estate smile.gif

If you are interested give me a PM

Clauuss

Isn't this fairly risky compared to my other options?

+Quote Post
clauuss
post Feb 20 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #4

MMG Member

Member No.: 55,567

QUOTE(Legion Kreinak @ Feb 20 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]3721865[/snapback]

Isn't this fairly risky compared to my other options?

Real estate are a long term investment. It's not so risky if you know how and where to invest smile.gif

Check my threat in real estate section.

Clauuss

This post has been edited by clauuss: Feb 20 2007, 01:33 PM

+Quote Post
Legion Kreinak
post Feb 20 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #5

New MoneyMaker

What if one wanted to choose a CD or MMA? Anything wrong with either of those as a shorter term, low risk investment?

+Quote Post
Hotelsrus
post Feb 21 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #6

New MoneyMaker

Member No.: 94,708

QUOTE(clauuss @ Feb 20 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]3721897[/snapback]

Real estate are a long term investment. It's not so risky if you know how and where to invest smile.gif

Check my threat in real estate section.

Clauuss

Real estate is a great investment because God isn't building anymore of it. You usually can't go wrong with real estate unless the person you are investing with is shady. There are many safer ways to invest your money such as real estate mutual funds.

http://www.hotelsrus.mybabblebiz.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Legion Kreinak
post Feb 22 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #7

New MoneyMaker

Well, I have $5,000, that's too small to really invest in real estate which is more of a long-term thing.

Is a CD that bad? No one seems to mention them.

+Quote Post
twins15
post Feb 24 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #8

New MoneyMaker

Member No.: 47,598

QUOTE(Legion Kreinak @ Feb 22 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]3731556[/snapback]

Well, I have $5,000, that's too small to really invest in real estate which is more of a long-term thing.

Is a CD that bad? No one seems to mention them.

A CD is not bad if you're not planning on touching the money for 6 months or a year or however long you choose the CD to be. Other options to consider for safe things would be an online bank like ING Direct or HSBC. For example, even if you only invested $250 at ING you'd get an immediate $25 bonus and earn 4.5% (you can email me at uclabruins24 AT hotmail.com if you'd like an invite where you can get the bonus). So that would be a completely risk-free option (as would a CD), because the online banks are FDIC insured.

Other options are obviously the stock market... I personally like Index Funds. There's obviously more risk involved because it is the stock market, but if you diversify well (such as in an index fund) your risk is lowered, and there's a greater possible reward than with a CD or Savings Account, which only increases over time.

Real estate you can do too... but I'm assuming those other posters are looking to sell you something and saying that real estate is risk-free (which it isn't).

So anyway, you can email me or PM me if you need any more info on anything I suggested, or just reply here obviously.

--------------------

+Quote Post
~*~QUEEN~*~
post Feb 25 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #9

MMG Member

Member No.: 95,458

You can still invest in ind stocks even with 5 grand. Try sharebuilder or buy sublots

+Quote Post
Offshore-Wealth
post Mar 7 2007, 06:15 PM
Post #10

MMG Member
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11,077

Interesting,

There are many ways to earn far more than what you are in a banks rip off savings account. Real estate is on the decline in most areas, and will get worse, so this is not the place to be at this point in time, and what can you get for $5000. in real estate?

Best strategy is to be diversified, and given your adversity to risk, there are plenty of day to day checking accounts online that will give you over 5%, eTrade, even Paypal offers more than local banks, so shop around.

Take a thousand and purchase a million in Iraqi dinar for the lowest risk and potentially hiqhest return in shortest time period. I have been invested for several years and have seen 50% plus ROI, and 13% in just past few months, and the best is yet to come as dinar value is about to be restored to normal, and that could mean a windfall of thousands of percent ROI. To learn more on history of Iraqi dinar, visit my information site.

Good luck to all, Mike
Iraqi-Investments.com

--------------------
**This signature has been edited by MMG Staff. Please view our signature guidelines found here.**

+Quote Post
forexgoldoil
post Mar 10 2007, 03:59 AM
Post #11

New MoneyMaker

Member No.: 97,765

iam creating programe for investing money since iam doing real trading in forex gold and oil u can investin my programe email me for any more details:

admin@forexgoldoil.com

--------------------
www.forexgoldoil.com

+Quote Post
traderonline
post Mar 10 2007, 05:18 AM
Post #12

MMG Member

Member No.: 95,364

better to invest it on CD

--------------------
My Other Favorite Money making forums:
http://www.talkgold.com/forum

+Quote Post
geturmoneynow
post Mar 12 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #13

MMG Member

Member No.: 38,804

i am not an expert on investing...however, I do know that to start off with, you want something safe. Mutual funds (money market account) and cds are your best safe short term investments. money market accounts are like savings accounts on steroids. You have higher interests rates, and you have access to your money any time you want. Pay special attention to fees the bank offers because even though the banks might offer high interest rates, they may have even higher or hidden fees. But I would go that route for such a small amount. Right now the mma interests rates are pretty high so you can build/compound from there and you will be doing great. Then when you have a safety net, diversify your funds...real estate is the best investment, but you have to know which kind works for you. There are foreclosures, tax liens...and fixer uppers....or time shares..etc that you can invest in...some will require you to invest more money in to raise the property value in order to sell it or rent it for some type of profit...so you really have to know your stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
readysalary
post May 10 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #14

New MoneyMaker

Member No.: 106,731

Before you do anything, just analyize first. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Steve Tan
Millionaire Maker.

Click here
for 14 Secrets to earn a million...

+Quote Post
gfboixx
post Jun 19 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #15

New MoneyMaker

Member No.: 110,004

I would think anything is better than a .9% savings account :-\

+Quote Post
Paid Advertisement

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Skin designed by IPB Forum Skins

FEATURED AD - NEW STATIC AD

Advertise on MMG Today!

Advertisement